THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT ME

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

AIDS AND ADVERTISING

Although I don’t believe that this photograph is appealing for a clothing line, I do think that it will help consumers remember the brand. The United Colors of Benniton clothing company has nothing to do with AIDS. This ad is just a good way for the company to make some extra cash while gaining new customers that wouldn’t normally buy it. People might go into a store to buy another brands clothing, but end up buying a United Colors shirt only because it is for a good cause.

These are the only ways I believe that the clothing company will benefit from this ad; people will look in to AIDS awareness more in my opinion. When someone looks at this ad they will think about the disease, how many people die, how many have it, they may even want to do their own research. The ad is sad but I think people might be confused with the picture alone. If the ad didn’t run with a title I wouldn’t know what it was for. At first I thought the people in the ad were wearing the clothing company’s clothes, until I was given a little background information about the picture and company. This makes me wonder if at the time this ad was ran if people thought that the clothes the people in the picture are wearing their clothing line. I think the whole ad can be confusing. If the people in the ad were wearing the company’s clothes then I think that it would benefit the company a lot more.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my opinions, this clothing brand did have an affect on their marketing by using this AIDS picture as a way of showing the consumers that they care only for sales to go up. Just like Mario added in his blog entry, in a way yes, United Colors of Benetton was exposing this picture in a sense for their own advertising more than getting to the public that AIDS should be important to take in mind.